Disciplinary Actions, Policies, and Procedures
At Southeastern Baptist College there are several areas that warrant disciplinary action by the Administration and Disciplinary Committee. These are related to Attendance and the Rules of Conduct by students in the dormitories as well as on and off campus. Complete details can be found in the Student Handbook.
A three level appeals process has been formed to deal with class attendance matters beginning with the Academic Dean and ending with the Administrative Council. The complete policy details regarding attendance can be found on pages 1-3 of the Student Handbook.
A demerit system is employed and enforced at SBC. Each faculty member and the dorm supervisors are empowered to issue demerits to students for acts of misconduct. There are two levels of misconduct: misdemeanors and serious violations. The complete policy details regarding student conduct requirements and disciplinary actions can be found on pages 7-10 of the Student Handbook.
The Dean of Students is the person who addresses most disciplinary actions. However, in extreme situations involving serious violations the Disciplinary Committee may meet concerning the violation.
Student Grievance Policy as stated in the Student Handbook
As a student of the Southeastern Baptist College, you have the right to an educational experience offered in a non-threatening environment free of harassment of any kind. You are entitled to fair treatment by college personnel and a due process of grievance should you believe that you have been treated unfairly or in an inappropriate manner you should follow the procedure outlined below.
- Initial contact should be made with the Dean of Students. Explain your grievance and give opportunity for him to investigate and attempt to bring satisfaction. If your problem is with the Dean of Students, initial contact should be made with the President.
- Should the Dean of Students be unable to settle the situation to your satisfaction, contact the President of the College.
- If attempts by the President to alleviate the problem fail, contact the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the College. His name, address, and phone number can be obtained from the President of the College and/or from the annual yearbook of the Baptist Missionary Association of Mississippi.
- If the action of the Board of Trustees is not to your satisfaction, you may make final appeal to the Association for Biblical Higher Education, 5850 T G Lee Blvd, Suite 130 Orlando FL 32822 | 407-207-0808
- A student has the right to contact the Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation (MCCA), which is the state authorization agency within the State of Mississippi that authorizes Southeastern Baptist College. Students must have exhausted all means available through SBC grievance process before contacting MCCA. Review the MCCA Complaint Process page on the MCCA website to understand what options may be available through MCCA. Also, MCCA provides a Complaint Form that students may download and complete in order to initiate a complaint against the college through MCCA.